Annual Robert S. Hilbert Memorial Optical Design Competition
Announcing our 2012 Winners
- Anthony Visconti, University of Rochester, Institute of Optics
- Josh Walters, University of Alabama-Huntsville
- Brett Sternfield, University of Rochester, Institute of Optics
About the Competition
The Synopsys Optical Solutions Group, invites you to participate in its Robert S. Hilbert Memorial Optical Design Competition, which recognizes excellence in optical design projects completed by students.
The competition honors the memory of Bob Hilbert (1941-2008), former President and Chief Executive Officer of ORA. Bob was a dynamic and respected leader who was actively involved in all aspects of ORA business, from shaping important CODE V and LightTools software features to supporting key optical design and engineering initiatives. Bob had served ORA since 1975, and was deeply committed throughout his career to fostering technical innovation in optics, enabling customer success, mentoring staff, and supporting optics education. He received B.S. and M.S. Degrees in Optics from the University of Rochester, was an SPIE Fellow, and held seven U.S. Patents in the field of optics.
To participate, students can enter an optical design class assignment or thesis work that uses CODE V or LightTools. Awards totalling $4,000 will be granted. The entry deadline is June 14, 2013. Winners will be announced in July.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in a post-secondary degree program in North America, working toward a bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D.
- Your work must have been completed using CODE V® or LightTools® software, and demonstrate knowledge of optics, optical engineering, and optical design software.
All entries completed and turned in to your professor during the current school year are eligible.
Download the Entry Form
You can download a PDF version of our entry form that can be viewed, filled in, and printed using Acrobat Reader. If you don't have a copy of Acrobat Reader, go to the Adobe Web site, where you can download it for free.
For More Details
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or contact your campus representative
- Call us at 626-795-9101, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. PST
Present and Past Winners